Excavations


... nothing is more essential to public interest than the preservation of public liberty.

- David Hume



Saturday, May 18, 2019

Locke to Quebec on “toleration” (i)


The other thing that hath just claim to an unlimited toleration is the place, time, and manner of worshipping my God.  Because this is wholly between God and me, and of an eternal concernment, above the reach and extent of polities and government, which are for my well-being in this world.  For the magistrate is but umpire between man and man; he can right me against my neighbor, but cannot defend me against my God; whatever evil I suffer by obeying him in other things, he can make me amends in this world, but if he force me to a wrong religion, he can make me no reparation in the other world.[1]

Locke, “An Essay on Toleration” (1667)



[1] John Locke, Political Essays, ed. Mark Goldie (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006), p. 137.

No comments:

Post a Comment