Excavations


... nothing is more essential to public interest than the preservation of public liberty.

- David Hume



Saturday, December 26, 2020

Trump as the ‘great deceiver’ in Descartes’ Meditations

Second Meditation:

Even though there may be a deceiver of some sort, very powerful and very tricky, who bends all his efforts to keep me personally deceived, there can be no slightest doubt that I exist, since he deceives me; and let him deceive me as much as he will, he can never make me nothing as I think that I am something.[1]

Third Meditation:

But when I considered something very simple and very easy concerning arithmetic and geometry, as, for example, that two and three joined together produce the number five, and other similar things, did I not conceive of them at least sufficiently to guarantee that they were true?  Certainly, if I have since judged that these things might be doubted, it was for no other reason that it occurred to me that some God might perhaps have given me such a nature that I would be mistaken even about those things that seemed most obvious to me.  I am constrained to admit that it is easy for him, if he wishes it, to bring it about that I am wrong even in those matters which I believe I perceive with the mind’s eye with the greatest possible obviousness.  And on the other hand, every time I turn to the things I think I conceive clearly, I am so convinced by them that I am spontaneously led to proclaim: “Let him deceive me who can; he will never be able to bring it about that I am nothing while I think I am something, or, it being true that I now am, that it will some day be true that I have never been, or that two and three joined together make more or less than five, or similar things in which I recognize a manifest contradiction and which I see clearly could not be otherwise than as I conceived them.”[2]

Descartes, Meditations (1641)

 



[1] René Descartes, Meditations on First Philosophy, tr. Lawrence J. Lafleur (Indianapolis, IN: Bobbs-Merrill, 1978), p. 24.  The first version appeared in Latin in 1641, followed by the French in 1647, which was a translatio from the Latin.

[2] Ibid., pp. 34,35.

No comments:

Post a Comment