Excavations


... nothing is more essential to public interest than the preservation of public liberty.

- David Hume



Friday, September 20, 2019

Fallible Man: Descartes’ Perspective on Trudeau and blackface


… when I presently turn back to myself, I find by experience that I am, on the contrary, subject to innumerable errors.[1]

René Descartes, Meditations on First Philosophy (1641)




[1] René Descartes, Meditations on First Philosophy, tr. Michael Moriarty (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008), p. 39. The quotation can be found near the start of the fourth Meditation. See also Paul Ricoeur, Fallible Man, tr. Charles Kelbley (New York: Fordham University Press, 2002), p. 1, where Descartes is translated as: “I find myself subject to an infinity of imperfections, so that I should not be surprised if I err.”

No comments:

Post a Comment